Gluten free baking is an exercise that requires the right recipe; the correct ingredients, a lot of practice and an element of luck! Today, I’m sharing some of my best gluten free baking tips.
Gluten free baking and I got to know each other well during the time I supplied my local community with home made granola and treats from my whole food market stall at the Torquay Farmers Market. Let me share some tips I picked up a long the way as well as my fool proof, delicious gluten free pear, walnut + vanilla muffin recipe.
Make sure you watch the video to see just how simple they are to make.
Gluten Free Baking Tips
- Ingredients: Choosing the right ingredients for your kitchen project is the key to success in gluten free baking. Simply substituting a conventional ingredient for one that is GF does not often achieve the same result! Think about texture, taste and how the finished product will bind together before taking on a new (sometimes expensive and time consuming) recipe.
- Tried + Tested Recipes: When you are learning something new, don’t feel pressured to reinvent the wheel! Look to the experts and find gluten free versions of your favourite recipes that have be tested and proven successful.
- Master Recipes: When you are on a good thing, stick to it! Once you have a recipe you love and feel confident making, look for ways to vary it to introduce new flavours to create variety. For example, my pear, walnut + vanilla muffin recipe below can be adapted to use any kind of fruit (or chocolate) your heart desires.
- Practice + Patience: Like learning any new skill, gluten free baking takes practice and patience. Be kind to yourself and accept that things don’t always work out. Persist and celebrate your wins and use your miserable disasters as an opportunity for learning (and a good laugh!).
- Think Real: Using gluten free purposed baking products that are quick mix, pre packaged items can help you gain confidence at the beginning of your GF adventure, but these products often contain undesirable, overly processed ingredients. Look for recipes made with natural food ingredients like almond meal, eggs and fruit (like an flour less orange cake for example) for the tastiest and most satisfying results.
My Pear, Walnut + Vanilla Muffins (GF)
I make these muffins for the school lunch boxes all the time, sometimes substituting the pears for other fruits like blueberries, plums or banana.
Makes 8 medium sized muffins
75g of brown rice flour
75g of almond meal
1 teaspoon of baking powder (gluten free)
1 teaspoon vanilla bean powder, or vanilla paste/extract
2 eggs, lightly beaten
2 tablespoons of coconut oil, melted
2 tablespoons of maple syrup
3 pears, cored and 2 diced and 1 sliced
1/4 cup of natural yoghurt (for dairy free muffins, use coconut cream)
1/4 cup almond milk
1/4 cup chopped walnuts to garnish
What to do:
Preheat the oven to 175C and place paper cases in your muffin tin, or grease it very well.
Add the rice flour, almond meal, baking powder and vanilla powder (if using paste add it with the wet ingredients) and use a whisk to combine and remove any lumps.
In a small bowl, add the eggs, coconut oil, maple syrup, yoghurt and almond milk and whisk to combine.
Peel and dice 2 of the pears into 1cm pieces and discard the core.
Peel, core and slice the remaining pear – this will be used to decorate the tops of your muffins.
Combine the wet and dry ingredients and stir well. Gently fold in the diced pears.
Spoon the mixture into your muffin cases and decorate with the sliced pear and chopped walnuts. Bake for around 25 minutes, or until the muffins are golden and cooked through.
These muffins are best eaten fresh, but will keep in an air tight container for up to 3 days.
If you would like to see me in action making my pear, walnut + vanilla muffins, watch my video HERE>
My friend, the beautiful and talented Tania Hubbard has a wonderful gluten free product range named Whisk + Bowl Co. along with two recipe books, Gluten Free, Grain Free and Abundance which I highly recommend if you are interested in going gluten free in a healthy, natural and DELICIOUS way!
Join us in Mamacino community...
to stay up to date with blog posts, special events and subscriber-only offers.
PLUS, I will send you my Real Food Essentials Checklist, a sneak peek into my new eCourse that makes providing healthy food for your family a breeze.