My kids are always ravenous when they get off the school bus and because quick, convenience snacks are hard to find when you have food ‘stuff’ to consider and any suggestion of a piece of fruit is met with a look of total disdain and dramatic eye rolling, I like to have something prepared. Today it’s Grain Free Banana Date Bars which are so simple to make and very delicious…I know because I just ate two!
Grain Free Banana Date Bars
How to make Grain Free Banana Date Bars
These banana date bars are half way between a cake and a slice. They are soft and chewy and the nuts provide a little crunch. The taste is that caramel-y, nutty flavour that comes from bananas and tahini with honey to sweeten and cinnamon to lend a lovely warmth. The perfect after school snack on a cold, raining Melbourne day.
2 cups almond meal
1/2 cup almonds, chopped
1/2 cup walnuts, chopped
1/2 cup sesame seeds
1 teaspoon cinnamon
a pinch of sea salt
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
2 small bananas, mashed
6 medjool dates, deseeded
100g butter, melted (or coconut oil for dairy free)
1 tablespoon of honey
1 tablespoon of tahini
What to do:
- Pre-heat oven to 170C. Line a 20cm square cake tin with baking paper.
- Soak dates in a little hot water from a recently boiled kettle.
- Add all the dry ingredients to a large bowl and mix to combine.
- Drain the dates and add to a jug with the butter (or coconut oil) banana, honey and tahini and blend with an immersion blender – or use the food processor.
- Mix the wet ingredients with the dry ingredients and combine well.
- Press the mixture in to the cake tin and smooth over before baking for 30 minutes, or until firm and golden around the edges.
- Allow to cool completely before drizzling with a little melted dark chocolate. This is optional, but really, why wouldn’t you?
- Cut into bars of preferred size and store in the fridge and feel happy and content that the kids will be fed well and happy…at least for ten minutes!
What are your kids favourite healthy after school snacks? I’d love to hear about them!
Join us in Mamacino community...
to stay up to date with blog posts, special events and subscriber-only offers.
PLUS, I will send you my Real Food Essentials Checklist, a sneak peek into my new eCourse that makes providing healthy food for your family a breeze.