Is there a taste that screams Summer more than a sun warmed strawberry bursting with flavour? My kids love them, which is obvious looking at the bare strawberry plants in our garden. Not many make it into my kitchen, but luckily we can buy them, delicious and organic from our local Farmers Market.
This decadent Summer Crumble is gluten free and can also easily be made refined sugar free and dairy free. It is healthy, full of flavour and it’s wonderful ruby red colours make it a beautiful dish. I am planning on making it for breakfast on Christmas morning!
For the filling:
- 1 and 1/2 cups of rhubarb, cut into 1 cm slices
- 3 cups of strawberries, washed and hulled and cut in half
- zest and juice from half a lemon
- a drizzle of honey
- 1/2 teaspoon of cinnamon
For the crumble:
- 1/2 cup of almond meal
- 1/2 cup of flaked coconut
- 1/2 cup of almonds
- 50 grams butter (or coconut oil if dairy free)
- 1/2 cup of flaked almonds
- 1 tablespoon of coconut sugar (optional but recommended, you could also use rapadura)
What to do:
- Set oven to heat to 170 degrees
- To prepare the filling, mix all of the ingredients in a bowl and transfer to an oven proof pie dish and set aside
- To prepare the crumble, add almonds to a food processor and pulse to chop them, but leaving then still quite textured
- Add the almond meal, coconut oil or butter to the processor and pulse to combine
- Carefully pour the crumble mixture over the filling in the pie dish ad sprinkle with the flaked almonds and coconut sugar
- Bake in oven for 30-40 minutes or until golden and bubbling
- Serve with cream or natural yoghurt or a dairy free topping such as coconut yoghurt or cashew cream.
Join us in Mamacino community...
to stay up to date with blog posts, special events and subscriber-only offers.
PLUS, I will send you my Real Food Essentials Checklist, a sneak peek into my new eCourse that makes providing healthy food for your family a breeze.